The insurance law team of NOVE is one of the strongest in Estonia. Andrus Kattel, the team leader, has more than 20 years of experience in successful resolution of hundreds of insurance disputes and is familiar with every detail in the area of insurance.
The attorneys of NOVE have effectively advised the leading insurance companies of Estonia and successfully represented them in disputes regarding the following areas:
- Advising on the settlement of claims in all types and cases of non-life insurance
- Representation in matters related to indemnification for various losses and submission of claims (including Cyber, D&O, BI)
- Liability insurance – advising on settlement of claims related to various professional activities (design, FIDIC contracting, design, production, distribution) and claims related to compulsory professional liability insurance (notary, bailiff, insurance broker, advocate and trustee in bankruptcy)
- Advising on development of various non-life insurance products and sale and handling processes
Our portfolio includes:
- Representation of If P&C Insurance AS in a dispute with a design undertaking and Skanska Group concerning the designer’s liability insurance in resisting the claims of Skanska (design and construction contract entered into on the general terms of FIDIC)
- Representation of ADB Gjensidige Estonian branch in a dispute with the policyholder, insurance broker and the latter’s liability insurance company regarding the issue of which party of the insurance relations is liable for entry into an insurance contract with underinsurance and whether the insurance indemnity lost due to underinsurance should be compensated by the insurance broker (the latter’s liability insurance, Civil Chamber of the Supreme Court, judgement no. 3-2-1-57-16)
- Advising and representing the insurer in a dispute related to the professional liability insurance of a trustee in bankruptcy. The case involved settlement of claims for potential loss of profit and for interruption of economic activity of a bankrupt company in a situation of stressed relations between creditors, the bankrupt company and its debtors as well as the bankruptcy proceeding bodies (committee, trustees) regarding the economic activities of the bankrupt in a more complicated bankruptcy proceeding than usual
- Advising ERGO Insurance SE in resolution of a dispute regarding the liability insurance of a designer in a claim related to cross border design activities. The dispute over the loss and causes thereof, the amount of loss and extent of insurance cover was settled by reducing the initial claim by 9/10.